Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Christmas struggles..

I am struggling with Christmas this year.  I have some friends who have recently changed their lifestyle. They have dug deeper into the word and researched and decided they do not believe in celebrating holidays that have started out pagan. And I may have this all wrong because I have not done sufficient research for myself. And they would put it more eloquently on what they believe & why and maybe I am interpreting things differently. I respect them greatly and I am glad they are seeking scriptures and doing research and figuring it out for themselves.
I just have this battle within now. Am I doing something I should not? That goes against God?

I love Christmas. Well, I love Jesus and celebrating His birth (even if its not His exact birthday). I love the joy & giving of Christmas. People are happier and kind and I just have a hard time seeing what is wrong with that?

So maybe I should just do things a little differently? Tweak it in a way that I feel comfortable with. Like no tree because that apparently is one of the more pagan things about it. Maybe I could just have a Happy Birthday Jesus cake and celebrate Jesus with my family and give gifts. Because I don't think that Jesus is opposed to us giving to our loved ones?
I have a hard time seeing what is wrong with celebrating Jesus, the Son of God. These scriptures put it perfectly and should be exactly what Christmas is about. Or take out the word Christmas and it should be exactly what Jesus' birthday is about.

"Mary did you know that your baby boy will some day walk on water?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you
.


Mary did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God.

Oh Mary did you know

The blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb

Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding is the great I AM."


Isaiah 9:6-7

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

I am not saying my friends are wrong. And I am not saying that I am right. All I am saying is that I am struggling with Christmas and/or what is right about celebrating holidays or doing things that began as pagan, even if that is not how I view it. I want to do what is right by God and not what is right by the world but I need peace about that and right now I do not have it either way.

It is a tradition that we have made in our families, one which would be hard to break but I want to raise my son right, to follow after the heart of Jesus and to live for Him in all things, so I need to figure this out and have the peace of Christ about it. Prayers would be appreciated. Your opinions are welcome as well but in the end I will take it to the thrown of Christ for peace & clarification.

No comments: