Friday, November 13, 2009

My heart's cry!

A friend of mine asked me about Peru and this is what I said...

Peru was the best choice I ever made for myself. Well, God definitely is the one who opened the door and made it crystal clear that I was supposed to go there through the financial provisions.

The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was having to take some cold showers pretty frequently and sometimes the food was a bit much for me. But the inconveniences are far outweighed by how much I truly fell in love with the place, and even more so, the people, the children especially.
I mean, I lived at the orphanage and breathed in those kids all day long. I went to school with them, ate lunch with them, helped them with homework, played outside with them, watched movies with them at night, went to church with them, for 9 whole weeks. And they were attached to me just as much as I was attached to them.

And for the 10th whole week, I was even more consumed with them because I was a House Mother, meaning me and another mother were in charge of 21 kids. I moved into their actual house with them, woke up at 6 or 7 in the morning and never left their side, making breakfast for them, having to discipline them, tell them no, not just being the friend anymore, but a mother figure. I even had a day and a half where I was the only house mother. And I loved every minute of it. The only complaint is needing to know more spanish so that I can really share my heart with them.
I loved playing basketball with them. Because I am actually good at it compared to them, ha ha ha! So they loved playing with me. We played almost everyday and it was just amazing.

And besides the kids, there were other volunteers that came throughout the 10 weeks that I was there and I became super close to two of them. Emily was a 16 year old volunteer that came and she and I hit it off on the basketball court the first day she arrived. She went through a similar circumstance last year and we have just become sisters as a result. She and I are super close and God brought the friendship at the exact time it was needed. Another girl named Aimee came 3 weeks after Emily, and Aimee and I are now best friends too. She has a huge heart and the light of God shines through in all she says and does. God definitely arranged divine appointments while being in Peru and He is not done with me there. I do not know how long I will be there but I know that I am super excited to return.

I could talk more but I do not want to write too much and bore you, ha ha. Thanks for asking =] Peru is a part of my heart and sharing it with others is something I love to do.

1 comment:

AiMeE jOnEs ;) said...

This is one of my favorite blogs of yours! That is such a beautiful response! I love how God is just written all over that! Fo sho!! Aw I can't wait for you to go back! The kids are going to go nuts and be so happy! I love you friend! It just blows my mind how God brought us together and how at this point in my life last year....Rita Lee who is that? ha ha I don't know how I lived without my beautiful amiga!